Beech Class - Year 4
Welcome to Beech Class!!!
We are a class of Year 4 pupils.
Our Topic this term is...
MAGIC AND MAYHEM!
What have we been learning?
- In Reading we are nearly half way through our whole class text 'The Nowhere Emporium' by Ross MacKenzie. We have been working on finding evidence from the text that shows what the characters look like and how they think and feel. We have also been having lots of ethusiastic discussions about what we have read, as well as predicting what might happen next. When we make predictions, we are trying to explain our thoughts using our understanding of the text so far.
- In Writing, we have just finished some fantastic magical stories that were inspired by 'The Nowhere Emporium' and focus on characters stepping into an incredible room of wonders. We have been including fronted adverbials and expanded noun phrases in our writing to interest the reader. Also, we have been improving our vocabulary by learning and discussing new words, which we have exprienced in reading, such as 'illuminated', 'tantalise' and 'manipulate'.
- In Maths we have begun our fractions unit and have been learning how to identify and represent families of fractions. Whilst learning about equivalent fractions, we have been using fraction walls, counter and cubes to represent them.
- In Art we have drawn weird and wonderful doors which are the entrance to the room of wonders which we have written about in our stories. Some of them are really strange and make us feel excited to open them.
- In D.T. we have been designing a shoe-box model which will show what our room of wonders might look like. We have been thinking carefully about the materials we might use and have been working on explaining/justifying our design choices.
Key information and dates for Beech Class
P.E. is on Wednesday with Mrs Warren and Thursday with Miss Perrett (see curriculum letter). Children must have their P.E. kits with them on these days (including indoor and outdoor footwear). Beech Class are also doing a run around our school as often as possible to improve our personal fitness and stamina.
All children need to have an apron in school for art lessons, so they are able to fully take part in activities. It does not need to be expensive and can be an old shirt of their parents or an oversized shirt bought from a charity shop. Shirts are better than T-shirts, because the sleeves cover their arms.
Homework is handed out on Friday and must be handed in on the following Wednesday. Homework might be stuck in homework books, be given out on a separate sheet, or could be set on Purple Mash. Homework is explained to all children before the go home on Friday and is linked to learning that has been covered in lessons. In addition to the homeworek set weekly, children are expected to be reading regularly at home and have reading races to complete when they do this. As well as reading, children should be regularly be practicing the times tables they have learned in school. So far, year 4 children have learned their 2s, 5s, 10s, 3s, 4s, 8s, 6s and 7s and are starting to learn their 9 x table this term. There is a link to great website, which can be used to practise all x and ÷ facts up to 12 x 12, below:
Showcase - Beech Class's showcase for this term will be on Thursday 28th February at 2.15pm in the school hall.