Beech Class - Year 4
Welcome to Beech Class!!!
We are a class of Year 4 pupils.
Our Topic this term is...
What have we been learning?
- In writing we have started our unit on Non-chronological reports and have been familiarising ourselves with how they are structured and the specific features of this text type.
- In Maths we have begun our unit on Addition and Subtraction. This week we have focussed on mastering the addition of two 4 digit numbers with no exchanging. Next week we will progress onto more difficult calculations where exchanging is required.
- In Science we have been learning about mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians, so that we can scientifically classify asian animals. Top liven up our science lesson, we learned the 'Classification rap', which has really helped up to understand the differences between the groups of vertebrates.
- In Reading we finished our class text 'Why the Whales Came', which we all thoroughly enjoyed! We completed book reviews about this amazing story and have been introduced to our new class text 'The Firework-Maker's Daughter' by Philip Pullman.
- In spelling we have been revising how to use apostrophes with singular nouns. In addition to this, we have been practising topic and science related words after completing our morning maths task.
Key information and dates for Beech Class
P.E. is on Wednesday with Mrs Warren and Thursday with Miss Perrett (see curriculum letter). Children must have their P.E. kits with them on these days (including indoor and outdoor footwear). Beech Class are also doing a run around our school as often as possible to improve our personal fitness and stamina.
All children need to have an apron in school for art lessons, so they are able to fully take part in activities. It does not need to be expensive and can be an old shirt of their parents or an oversized shirt bought from a charity shop. Shirts are better than T-shirts, because the sleeves cover their arms.
Homework is handed out on Friday and must be handed in on the following Wednesday. Homework might be stuck in homework books, be given out on a separate sheet, or could be set on Purple Mash. Homework is explained to all children before the go home on Friday and is linked to learning that has been covered in lessons. In addition to the homeworek set weekly, children are expected to be reading regularly at home and have reading races to complete when they do this. As well as reading, children should be regularly be practicing the times tables they have learned in school. So far, year 4 children have learned their 2s, 5s, 10s, 3s, 4s, 8s, 6s and 7s and are starting to learn their 9 x table this term. There is a link to great website, which can be used to practise all x and ÷ facts up to 12 x 12, below:
Showcase - Beech Class's showcase for this term will be on Friday 7th December at 2.15pm in the sports hall. Invitations will be sent out closer to this date.